Friday, August 3, 2007

Day One in Panama City

So, last night I arrived here in Panama City around 10:30pm. My cab ride to the hostel truly became a complete 3rd world experience when the cab broke down at an intersection, though the driver said it happened all the time and he quickly solved the problem. He was great, very friendly, and I used him again this morning to go to a meeting a the U.S. consulate and to check in at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute's Panama City headquarters. Haven't done much other than that and buy a cell phone, but so far, so good. I had a great lunch at the Smithsonian for a whopping $3.75. Tonight I'm going to head out to eat somewhere in the neighborhood and tomorrow I'll explore the city a bit more. The people I've met seem incredibly friendly, though this is definitely not like anywhere else I've ever been. Look for photos soon! On Sunday I'm moving to Gamboa, the small town where I'll be living, and I'm not sure how frequently I'll be able to get online (if at all during the first few days).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adam!
I had no idea you were going to Panama; what an experience! How long are you going to be there? What kind of research are you doing on the ants (I'm sure it's fascinating, whatever it is)? Congrats on graduating, and best of luck down in South America; I know your heart is there <3

Kate

Suz said...

Can't wait to see pics...don't worry, planning to frame some as I always do! Nothing is new here since we saw you on Wednesday...that was so much fun, and I'm glad I was able to spend the time with you this week!
Love, Suz