Saturday, September 29, 2007

It's been a while... but I'm here...


Geoffrey's Tamarin
Originally uploaded by adaminlatinamerica
It's been a while since my last entry. Things haven't changed too much I suppose... still spending a lot of time in the lab and field. I've continued to love living in Gamboa though, and I've been exploring the city more and more... Geoffrey's tamarins come by my house a lot (see the pic, taken from my bedroom window...) which is pretty cool... and I guess lately I've just been thinking about life a lot and stuff, especially when I'm out in the forest looking for ants. Yesterday I went out for a little bit and was unsuccessful at finding what I needed, but I did happen upon a troop of white-faced capuchins. These are probably my favorite type of monkey, and one I had never seen in the wild before.

It's actually surprising that I hadn't seem them until yesterday - they're quite common here and in Costa Rica as well, but I just never was at the right place at the right time until then I guess. I didn't have my camera with me, but oh well, I'm sure I'll see them again soon enough. I also spotted a little tortoise while I was looking, and it was the first I've seen in the forest. I immediately picked it up to look closer, and I was sad to spot a few ticks on it. So, after pulling them off, I put it down and watched it slowly walk away. It really made me think a lot about everything, especially as turtles are obviously a pretty special animal to me, for those who know... so it just reminded me that while those we have lost might not be around physically, we always have them with us. For me, that's an especially important feeling when I'm down here away from everyone and everything I knew before, often feeling quite alone (especially out in the immense forest.) But really, I love it here, and it's incredible to be surrounded by so much life. I'm thinking of everybody back home though!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hi.
I found your blog while checking out who was blogging from Panama and I have enjoyed reading your posts.
I grew up in Panama, mostly on Ft. Clayton but also in the city.
My friends and I spent almost every Saturday out in Gamboa, birdwatching and hiking or paddling our cayuco in the lake. So your blog is pretty nostalgic for me. I hope you are loving your time there. It is like no place else on this beautiful planet.
I haven't been back to Panama since my family left in 1999, but it is very much a part of me. We still have friends down there and my parents are headed down in May for the completion/dedication of the LDS temple, which is in Cardenas and I think can be seen along the main road from Gamboa, past Ft. Clayton, to Albrook.
Anyhow, I'm glad you are enjoying your time there. I remember watching the cutter ants strip the leaves off bushes and small trees in a matter of hours and rebuild their nests just as quickly after they were destroyed by the numerous firecrackers my brothers used to toss down them!
Have fun.